Monday, July 20, 2009

STUFF

I can't believe I have SO much stuff. Where does it all come from? Let's review

I arrive in Veracruz with two suitcases and I found an apartment that had a roll of toilet paper, a bar of soap, a mattress, but no bedding, and a rose bush. We left one year and a few months later, and had a few things, but not really much to speak of.

I got to Cancun, nine months ago. This time with 7 suitcases. ( more luggage allowance with Eva paying for a ticket) Again we arrived to an empty house. A bed for everybody, this time Justino had sheets for us, and few plates and a fridge. Now I am packing and I can't believe what we have accumulated.

I really can't believe it, when I think of what we have paid for. Almost none of it. Thanks to my amazing mother, she has sent 12, yes 12 additional suitcases of things since we have been here. She scouts Davis county for folks coming to Cancun for a week and maxes out there luggage allowance, and 12 suitcases later, I have a vacmun and a cuisarnat, and a fully staffed kitchen, and toys and books, and everything I can think of. And a solid 95% of what she has sent has been either things that were mine that I left behind or cast off's from somebody. I am stunned at the abundance that is the United States of America. I am stunned at the excess of things that we can accumulate.

The really funny part is that although I feel like we have WAY more than we ever have since we have been here, I have only a fraction of what I carted around as essentials when I was living in the states. So interesting.

Stuff. Things. It's everywhere.

We are moving in the morning! YEAH!!!!

4 comments:

Haley and Mitch said...

Stuff - the story of my life. I really had to laugh at this post. It speaks so much truth. The US is about 80 % excess EVERYTHING; I am convinced of it. Love you Brook! Good luck in the move! Wish we were there to help.

Brooks Mama said...

I know where all the stuff came from. I didn't send 12 suitcases, I've sent 19 and one more is coming in August with Letty and Peppa. Sorry Brook, I still have tons to send you!!! Dang airlines changed the free luggage stipulations!!!!!!! I'll figure something out to get the sewing machine and water cooler down there.

Liesel said...

Dang it! My brother just went there on his honeymoon. If only I would have known I would have had him bring you more. :) Congrats on the house. I can't wait for you to post some pics of it. Hint Hint.

jill or jay said...

Yeah!!! Congratulations on the move. I'm so happy you have a peaceful heart (that's from your last post). And yes, stuff does accumulate. Pictures?!