Wednesday, January 6, 2010

PRINCESS: redefining the word

Here is Eva with her princess dress that she got for Christmas. She put in on right after this photo was taken and didn't take it off all Christmas Day.
What is it about little girls and princesses? Before I was a mom to a little girl I thought being a princess was dispicable. It came with the conotation of being spoiled and bratty and entitled. Also a lot of pink, which I am also had to come to terms with after having a daughter.
Because of my former thoughts on being a princess, I obviously did not IN ANY WAY encourage Eva so assosicate or play with anything princess at all. But some how she loves princesses, and being a princess and talking about marrying her prince Gavin ( which happens to be her cousin, which is only funny because she is three)
I am beginning to think that little girls and just born with this princess tendancy and when the slightest suggestion of anything of the sort is presented they latch on, and don't give up until somewhere along the way they are socialized in a different direction.
But a friend of mine, who shares my disdain for the title, pointed out to me that not all princesses are created equal. Some really are spoiled and entitled, like Little Mermaid. Disobeys her dad, and runs away for some guy and in the end that was somehow the right choice. Not so much the role model I want to send out to eva. Mulan or Belle on the other hand, might be ok. They stand up for what they believe in, make sacrifices for their familes and country. They are tough princesses who have moral fiber. These are some chicas I can get on board with.
And then there is my Eva. She really is a princess when you think about it. She is so pure and so innocent, and of course beautiful. She is needs to know that she is special and chosen. Because she is. We all are. We are all God's Children.
But I say lets teach little girls what it really means to be a princess. Responsible to others, Service giving, Moral and Honest, and ultimately in training to be Queens. Perhaps Eva will not lead a nation, but she will, most likely lead a family. And the longer I am married I am learing just how much leadership the Queen really needs to have.

2 comments:

Brooks Mama said...

Yes, Eva is a GOOD PRINCESS. She is tough. She learned to walk and talk and exsist under HARD situations. She has made bugs be toys and eaten tacos off the street. She runs with the big kids and they WANT to play with her. She is my Princess and always will be. Eva and her mom have redefined many words!!Eva will be a QUEEN,just like her mother, who is inventive and talented and tough as nails, but sweet as they come. You're both Princesses and Queens who rule and reign and will triumph in the kingdom of God for all the good that you have done and will do.

Kami Asay said...

Brookie - Just wanted to tell you that I love your blog. I love the new colors and all of the wonder pictures and stories. I feel like I'm right there with you. Thinking about you and missin you. Send my love to the kids. I love the picture of them coloring on the floor. Sammy looks almost as big as Eva. :D xoxoxo Love your guts. PS - We were tough! :D