Sunday, February 7, 2010


This was my view earlier today. Playa Del Carmen. Beautiful don't you think?
Warm Sun. White sand. Blue water. Nice Breeze. Paradise.
My brother Andy is here visiting so we drove the 45 minutes or so, down south to Playa. We did an official visit on behalf of the stake primary ( that's my calling in church these days) and then headed for tacos, and to the beach.
It occurred to me that three years ago today I had a much different view of Mexico.
No sun. White Embassy. Blue uniforms. Cold Breeze. Hell.
I stood in the same spot across the street from the embassy scared and staring at the same little door for eight hours watching one face at time walk out. Some triumphant, but mostly worried or angry faces emerged. Justino's face was a color that I had never seen before. A fallen ashen countenance that made me know immediately that something was very wrong.
I could have never imagined on the scary surreal day, that my reality in Mexico would be the living under the breeze of the exotic caribbean.
Not that life is so exotic here. In fact mostly I would say it is quite the opposite. It occurred to me that there is more than meets the eye with that old saying
'Life is a Beach'
And especially so of our journey since that pivotal day three years ago.
It is immense and moves by the hand of God, just as the tides and the waves.
It is easy to get dirty sand seems to find it's way into every nook and cranny.
Sunburn, dry skin, tangled hair are a given if certain precautions are not taken.
There are alot of people around, all interesting but mostly strangers. The company of those who aren't is a real treasure.
It is really fun to be there for a while, but pretty soon you just want to go home.
Mostly It's all about how you approach the day. If you show up prepared for the possible ills of the beach, and focus on the enchantment of just being there,
the experience truly is paradise.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It is good to hear that you have found joy there. Even though you are in an impossible situation it is good to be happy where you are. That is what make life liveable!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Lee Adventure said...

my first thought when i saw the picture is i want to be there!! I am glad to hear things are coming to peace with in all the mess. love you!!

La Familia Garcia said...

What a beautiful view. Your kids are beautiful too!

Ryan Smart said...

So I haven't looked at your blog in ages! I remembered you saying something about moving to Cancun--are you living there now? I you with Brer? I missed her when we went down there a couple years ago, but I love Cancun and will be back again. We actually went to church while we were down there...LONG bus ride and taxi drive away. The ward building was WAY nicer than any church I ever went to living down there and the people were amazing of course. You guys look great! drop me a note when you get a chance and let me know how you are doing.