Saturday, May 23, 2009

Directions

Today I wanted to make a chart for Eva's morning and evening jobs. It occured to me that I wanted to go to Papeleria Cancun. It is the biggest paper store in Cancun, or at least everybody talks like it is. So I get in the car having NO idea where this blessed paper haven is. That is just how you do things here, start moving and ask along the way. So I stopped the first girl I met at the top of the street. I didn't know her, but I asked her, " where is papeleria cancun?" Her exact words were ( for my spanish speaking readers) " el ADO, alli casi en frente, hay un extra y una calle que va asi. Alli esta. Translation, "the ADO, almost in front. There is an Extra ( a convient store ) and a road that goes like this." She then made a gesture with her hand like a curve. Kinda vague. But I did know how to get to ADO, so I drove there. I didn't head right where I had pictured because I didn't get in the correct lane soon enough around a busy turn around along the way, and had to back track. As I did, I asked a few taxi drivers who told me almost verbatim the same thing as the first senorita, and so I went to where I pictured "in front of ADO" although it wasn't actually in front of the front of the building, if you know what I mean. but sure enough I saw an extra and a little road that ran next to it, that curved somewhat, and so I turned, and I found the pie in the sky paper store/ art supply store/office supply all complete with the latest models of the good old virgin maria. I mean the place really did have everything. So much so that I walked around for like an hour, carrying my fat ton son, no less,and I bought some stuff and made some charts.

As I was triumphantly driving home, feeling proud of myself for having found my goal. I thought, Life is alot like getting directions from a mexican. Mostly you don't know exactly where you are going. The directions to the goal are not exact, but are clear enough, if you follow your intuition and ask a few folks along the way, even if you have to back track a bit, you will find your destination. Trick is just realax and keep your mind and heart open, and on the goal.

2 comments:

jill or jay said...

Yay for you! I love your analogy. I've been meaning to write you and say that I'm glad you're in a good place. In many ways!

Zim'sPoopCandy said...

Here you go Brookie another blog to follow . . .

http://asaysadventures.blogspot.com/

K wanted to start one and here we have one. Good times.