Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Swine Flu

I am horrified to report that we are suffering from the swine flu here in Mexico. Our most problematic symptom is boredom. Eva has been out of school for over a week and isn't going back until next Monday. Church was also canceled under a decree of the Mexican government. We have also experienced irritation due to the over reactive warnings about not leaving our houses, and avoiding public places, and wearing masks that will have absolutely no bearing on our health. Our ears hurt from the wild exaggerations that we constantly hear on TV, our eyes hurt from the millions of emails and Internet reports we are receiving daily, and our hearts hurt that we live in a world where public leaders would promote such panic in order to turn our focus from the drug related killings in Juarez, the economic crisis, and the severely overdue need for immigration reform. What a problem this flu has created. too bad it is imaginary.

Please let me specify. I do believe that swine flu exists. But I don't believe that it is any more deadly than any other flu, and I truly believe we are being snowed about the gravity of the situation. Lets all continue to have common sense and get on with our lives, and stop living like a bunch of sheep that are being herded down the trails that our irresponsible leaders would have us wander.

4 comments:

Merilee said...

Well said. It's been so blown out of proportion for political reasons!
That said it's still a little scary to me, and I hope you are all doing ok. Get well soon!!!

Rodgers clan said...

I totally agree Brookie. They need to get over it & quit making a WAY bigger deal out of it than it is. LAME!!! Hang in there. XOXOXO

Amie said...

You always had a way saying things and this is no different!! We all agree!!

Merilee said...

OK. I get it now. Your Mom had to fill me in that you didn't actually have the flu. Duh. :)