Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Holiday Rundown

I can't believe that Christmas has come and went. For days that sure drag this year has really flown. This is how we spent our holidays south of the border.

Church Dinner
Last Saturday night we had our church Christmas dinner. The youth were in charge of the nativity skit. They were irreverent, and out of control during the practices and I nearly renounced my calling of youth leader, but the final product was much better than the rehearsals, not great, but better, and I Forgave them. The food was amazing. We had enough, which is a first, and we had a really wonderful time with the people who have made this time in Mexico so special. As I sat there eating, and talking I thought about leaving them, and that made me want to cry almost as much as the thought of staying for ten years. Later Justino took one of the youth with him to take dinner to a widow in our branch, and he was joking with the youth saying that when he was the new branch president that he would have to make sure and take dinner to all the widows that didn't have strength to come to the church to eat. Justino said, maybe it will be you when I leave, still joking, and Ruben, the youth, said, " You're Leaving?!" Justino told him that we don't plan on being here permanently, and Ruben got quiet for a long time and then said, " President Mora, Please don't leave." When Justino told me that I forgave the all the irreverent youth for being teenagers about the skit.

Posadas
All last week neighborhoods around Martinez hosted Posadas. It is when the people on a certain street pool their money and resources and make a party. They close the streets and string balloons, rent speakers bigger than their houses and dance all night. The neighborhood ladies cook and there is candy for the kids. Big fun, big food, all night. These folks know how to party.

Christmas Eve
So we went to a Christmas Eve party with some of our friends, Frank and Rosy. We went with their family to Rosy's mother's. She had 12 children and they were all there with their kids. We played games and had pinatas, she roasted a leg og pig with peaches it was divine. Then we danced and there was karaoke. I got a big kick out of listening to everybody sing. Everybody dressed up and there was such a joyful atmosphere. The games were cheesy, like musical chairs, and fruit basket, but every body participated and made it so much fun. I laughed until I cried more than once. At midnight every single person hugged and kissed every single person. Eva fell asleep on my lap in a chair in a corner about 5 minutes to midnight, so I thought that I would not be involved in the 12 o'clock Christmas greetings, but not one person failed to find their way back to the my isolated corner and hug me over the top of my sleeping angel. I was so touched that many of them, don't know me, but I felt sincerely loved my all of them. It struck me that the focus of the evening was being together. Not gifts, not anything else just coming together to celebrate. We stayed until almost 2a and it was blissful.
There was another element that really impressed me about this family. Underneath the obvious merry making, there were some things going on that could have really killed the mood, but didn't. A few months ago Justino and Frank painted a house for one of Franks sister in laws. I'll spare the details but she during that time she stole Frank's wedding ring, and a substantial amount of money from him. The circumstances around the event made it obvious that she was the culprit, but in the end he couldn't prove it, and had to let it go. Christmas Eve, She was there. He was there, and he was kind. I paid attention to how he treated her. He brought her a plate of food, and I saw them kiss at midnight. Frank is a bigger person than me, because he forgave her.
Another detail was that one of Rosy's sister, Isabel, came from the United States. She has lived there for 20 years, is a legal resident, and after 7 years or so came home to see her family for Christmas. She brought a surprise with her. Her lesbian life partner, Margarita, and their new one year old daughter, Joyce. This family is NOT of the open minded train of thought to celebrate the announcement of the lifestyle choice of their daughter. I was worried for her
( Somebody told me before the party about her arrival) but I was deeply moved at the kindness and love that this family showed their sister, and her new family. Frank danced with Margarita, she was the best at the karaoke, and I noticed everybody extend a hand of welcome to her. I love that.
I thought about the whole night and I realized that the wonderful feeling I felt was there because these folks, not only know how to throw an awesome party, but because they don't just sing about Christmas, they don't just celebrate Christmas, they LIVE everyday, the principles that Christmas is all about. Peace, Love and Joy.

Christmas Day
Justino went to see his grandmother and because my foot hurt from all the dancing, and because my mother was going to call I stayed home. I talked to her for two hours and that was a delight. Then I took a nap, and that was only ok. Because I woke up every 5 minutes wondering if Eva was ok, forgetting that she went with her dad. Children really do ruin your life, I used to be a champion napper. Thanks a lot Eva. We went back to Rosy's mom when they came home, and ate again, and it was fabulous.

Best Christmas Present Ever
so there are two young men in the branch that play the piano. They learned before I came from their mother and they love it when I teach them. They love to find difficult, fast, show off music to learn, and I am always trying to help them learn it. They always ask me to play something "impressive" and since I haven't practiced since my recital in April of 2006 my skills are less than impressive. I can get through about 30 seconds of the third movement of Beethoven's "Moonlight" Sonata. Well they beg me for more, and I never have it to give. I keep telling them if I had the music I could resurrect it, but I don't so, sorry. Well, Monday afternoon they showed up after having spent hours in an internet cafe, with a copy of the music. They were so pleased and so was I. I can't wait to get to the piano, and spend some time with my soul mate Beethoven. Merry Christmas.



No comments: