Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Announcing a new year, and the word NO

Well, it happened. 2007 is gone. GOOD RIDDANCE! BE GONE! Here comes 2008, the year of the United States. We are coming home this year, legally or illegally, we are not going to be here another year. A baby is coming this year, to be born in the United States, in clean safe hospitals, where no one will be taking for granted the blessing of what it means to be born an American citizen. Good things are coming this year.

I have no resolutions. This is an absolute first for me, usually I am the type to be spinning around thinking of reasons I am inadequate and having big intentions to become the perfect woman I imagine in my head. Such a fantasy no longer plagues me. 2008 here I come, fat, ungrateful, unhumble, and without even a shred of energy to care or even want to change. Just ready for the good things coming this year. They are coming, I am sure of it.

We spent New Years with the same friends that we spent Christmas with. The couple from New York went home on the 30, because their baby got sick. I think the party left with them. It was much more mellow, still nice, but much more quiet fun than Christmas Eve. By 11p.m. we had danced, mostly Eva had danced and we had eaten, and wimped out and went to bed. Justino went back to join the party, but Eva and I slept right through the new year. I think my favorite part of the festivities was before we went to the party. SEABISCUIT was on TV, in Spanish, but still. We watched it was a family, and ate the appetizers I made for the party. I made chicken broccoli casserole and put it on french bread. It tasted divine.

The Mexicans have a funny custom that they dress up like an old man and sing and dance. The old man signifies the old year about to die. They go door and people give them a few pesos. Eva is scared to death of the mask they wear, and as a result she has learned to say no. When the old man comes dancing she cries and screams, NO! NO! I am with you Eva, no more 2007. 2008 here we come.
Happy New Year!

No comments: