Thursday, October 4, 2007

life is Good

Well I haven't posted for a couple of weeks, and thought I would just let everyone know that I live so good here. I have just spent the afternoon with a lady I met at church. She is close to my age, and has three kids. Her youngest is almost one. She moved here from Jalisco about the same time I did, and talking to her makes me realize how good I've got it. She lives in a room, with no running water. She has to bring her water from a well nearly a block away to wash. It's hard enough to wash by hand, let alone, not having water accessible. And what do you do with the one year old while you truck loads of water back home to wash. It is so hot in her house I thought I was I was going to sweat to death and it wasn't even hot today. She has a five year old, and she has to walk him to and from school eveyday. Today her one year old was sick, but she still had to make the trek, because the 5 yr old can't miss school. I walked with her. SHe is great to talk to, and so nice. Mostly I like to talk to her because she is real. She says it like it is. We talk about kids. I ask her how long her youngest sleeps and how much he eats and what he eas. SHe says he sleeps when he is tired and eats whatever I have to give him when he is hungry. I thought, wow what a novel idea. I am always trying to get eva on the perfect schedule and make sure she is eating exactly what is indicated on the chart put out by the National Heart Association. It makes me think that I am stressing over something that naturally should happen. Or maybe it's because I come from a world that is so convenient that I have to much time on my hands to worry about stuff like that. She is not worrying about what he eats or when or how long he sleeps. She is worrying that he doesn't get hurt while he is alone while she is off to get water. Or worried that she will have enough to feed him. Justino says that Eva wastes more food than he had growing up. How sad is that. I mean seriously. And now I come home to what americans would call humble and it is a palace compared to where she lives. And it is cool, and I can bathe eva inside now, because the boiler go fixed, and all the while I am thinking, here I am, so much better off than most people who live here. I can' believe how spoiled I am, and all Americans I know are. It make me want to give away everything I own, to help. The real irony is, that because they work so hard, and have so little they are like the most Christlike wonderful people in the world. ANd when I think about that, it makes me wonder if I am really so much better off, because they got what I am striving for. A reverence and gratitude for life, and a level spirituality that not only is the key to salvation, but the key to being happy everyday. They have so little, and yet they are so happy. I am truly in awe, as I think about the simple depth of these people. I am so grateful, that I got to come and learn from them. wow.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I am with you Brook! I am amazed by the humility of these people every day. It really makes you stop and think about how much we used to take forgranted. I have lived in Mexico for 2 years now, truly, everyone should have an experience like this so that they are able to find the true meaning of the word ¨necessity¨ ???sp??? I love ya! Lisa

jill or jay said...

Hi Brook! I found your blog address when you left a comment on mine. I really like reading yours too! Your daughter is so cute. It sounds like you're having a real adventure, and learning so much. I look forward to reading yours often.

Maewen Archer said...

I enjoy your posts so much -- your stories remind me how easy and abundant my life is and remind me to appreciate the simple joys in each day.