Sunday, October 21, 2007

moments of parenthood

Tonight Justino turns to me and says, " I now know how it is possible for some people to kill their own children." I laugh, but in some sick way TOTALLY relate. We are 20 minutes into a forty minute drive, Eva has been screaming for 15 minutes. We still have a long way to go and the siren in the back seat is angry because she doesn't like her car seat. So I am deaf and wondering, seriously wondering why my mother never told me what a curse children are, and for that matter why there are so many children being born everyday, especially to parents that already have children and know what a punishment they are. I mean really what is this kid good for? Just to make my life hell. That is all she does. Pain, sorrow, weeping wailing, gnashing of teeth!! I don't even love this devil in my car, not even a little bit......

Then Justino turns on the radio and the satanic child in the backseat starts to dance, and laugh at rhythm. And she is shaking her shoulders and bobbing her head, and suddenly she is the most delightful creature I have ever laid eyes on. Justino looks at me and says, " How did we get the most beautiful child ever on earth." And I say i don't know... I really don't know, but she IS the most beautiful child ever on earth. And now it all Joy, and laughter and love and happiness...

Parenthood, what a trip!

4 comments:

Merilee said...

ha ha ha!! this is so funny. I was just thinking something along the lines of this today. Isn't it funny how things can change so drastically from one moment to the next! Kids really are a trip. Toddlers have mood swings worse than pregnant women.

Maewen Archer said...

I'm currently living with the mood swings of two toddlers -- I know exactly what you mean. :)

MadMad said...

It would be nice if the trip weren't so.... laundry-filled, though, wouldn't it?

I think your Oct. 13 post should be required reading for everyone - especially those people who fight so hard against immigrants' rights.

Brook Ann ( the Great ) said...

Thanks Mad Mad, I couldn't agree with you more!