Saturday, July 21, 2007

Apartment Tour



This is our truck. We don't have a name, if you think of a good one let us know. Justino's brothers sold out white pickup and bought this for us with money, and brought it to us in May.




SO here is our place. We start the tour looking at the apartment buiding from the street. We go in the small door on the right, and the whole big red gate opens and cars can pull in. THe next pic is just inside the door, we go up the stairs to our place. Then we see our front door, open the door and see into the kitchen.







Eva sleeps in the kitchen, and we have a lovely little table. Notice the box holding the pots and pans under the play stove, two burners and no oven, that is run by gas and I have to light with a match every time. And what do you think of our rusty old fridge. This was the first fridge that Justino's mother ever owned, the first and only. Her boys bought it for her twenty years ago after they had moved to the states. We are grateful, and proud to announce that it is no longer full of cockroaches,as it was when we got it out of storage. THe sink is next to our only set of cabinets, and we uses boxes inside them to organize.



Leaving the kitchen, through a small door at the head of Eva's crib heads you into the bedroom, And you can see that from the bedroom you can head into the bathroom. The night stand is actually our air conditioner box, covered in a sheet. I am continuously proud of how creative I am at making furniture out of cardboard.



The Bathroom is starndard, but notice the luxuries, shower curtain and a toilet seat. Both a rare entity here in most bathrooms I have visited. Also though it appears to have two nobs for hot and cold water, the truth is, it is always cold.
Now for the best part. My mexican washing machine. Know here as a lavadero, basically you tank of water and a nice concrete scrub board. The dyer is the lines you see, and you would be amazed at the art that it is to wash by hand. I have learned that clothes dont' even know clean until they have been washed by hand, and Mexican woman can ring them until they are nearly dry. ALso there is an art to hanging them up. They don't use clothes pins, they separate the wound twine on the line, and hang the clothes inside. Unless you have wrung the clothes out really good, they get heavy and it is a real trick to be able to use the whole line before it gets to tight to open up and continue hanging the clothes. anyway, although I am excited to have a washer again some day, I think that I would like to have a lavadero too, so that I can have the best of both worlds.

3 comments:

Merilee said...

Hey..I am excited you got this up. Love your end table! : )
I don't know if you meant for some of those picture to overlap, it looks fine... if that is what you were asking me about in the email though..I have no idea, I haven't had my pictures do that yet.
Thanks for sharing!

Angie said...

Hey Brooke and Justino,

Brooke you really outdid yourself, because your place is nice. And this website is cool. I hope you guys are getting to know Mexico and taking it all in. You guys know if you need anything just let us know. Later Angie Mora

Yayi said...

Hello cute girl!! I'm back in the States!! We are in Michigan now. I hope you guys are doing great.
Besos para los 3